Tuesday 27 October 2015

Writing Letters


My collection of letters
From the first letter I ever gotten from my grandparents to the most recent one from my friend overseas

Hello World! 

Well, just wanted to write in after I sat through one commercial I saw on TV that seemed really stupid but actually got me thinking.

It was an ad I assume to get people to write letters to xia xue and dash? Because I wasn't really paying attention to the content and happened to just hear bits and pieces of what it was saying, I cant really judge the ad.

However, a point I got from the video was that people now can just send an sms or whatsapp to connet with their friends and most people dont write letters anymore.

This point I agree. If I were to compare the times of my parents and our time, things definitely changed. Our world have became smaller and connected. Gone are the days of "snail mail", now is the era of instant reply. Heck now, we get a bit irritated when our friends don't reply within 5-10 minutes of our message. If we look back to the past era, we would have to wait at least 1 week to get us..so actually waiting 5 to 10 minutes is not that bad

Anyways point is, where did all the letter writing go? Personally I love recieving letters and I write a few letters in a year. Its the best way to surprise people plus you feel a person's sincerity through letters.

When I was in secondary school, my friends and I we made a point to write a letter to each other once a week and it was really fun! Because we were in different classes we just wrote what we did and what happened in our class. Since she was a really good artist, she would actually decorate the paper around her letter and it was really cool. This feeling cant be felt through phones honestly.

Yes typing a message an email is efficient but it makes a bigger impact if you send a letter on a person's birthday then a simple message that says 'happy birthday' right?

I feel that people should know more about that feeling of recieving and writing letters.

The letter I wrote to myself...That I finally opened 2 months back
Something I did with letters was I wrote to myself. Yes you may think I'm some lonely lil shit but when I was 16 I wrote a letter to my 21 year old self. And yes. I was embarrased as hell when I opened it this year. But I felt a bit emotional because it made me look back to those days when I was 16. (It could also be because I opened it at a time when I was really stressed out and just wanted to give up) 

But I realised that writing a letter to myself re-secured my goals. The 16 year old me struggled with her studies and was just insecure about anything. She was just content if she passed that damn N and eventually O levels. But..5 years down the road. This insecure 16 year old, passed both her N and O (not with flying colors for O, but still passed), graduated from poly with confidence and came out a little bit from her introverted shell. This insecure 16 year old got to actually travel overseas with her friends to the place she loved. The letter to myself actually made me realised that I actually am not a failure and was actually able to accomplish so much things!

So you see writing letters dosent mean you need to write to someone else. You can always just write to yourself. To actually get you to reflect about your past (and also boost your self-esteem).

So why not try by writing a letter to yourself. It may seem ridiculous but by the time you forget about it and a time for you to open it comes, it dosent seem ridiculous at all ;)

With that..I shall go back to researching on my paper (urgh),

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment